Sunday 13 July 2014

Don't Wine About It!




After I'd primed my first 5 Legion Tactical Marines black I needed to set them up for airbrushing. A lot of people at my local Games Workshop stick their minis to the top of paint pots to make them easier to handle. This method wasn't going to work for me as whenever I get an empty pot I use it to mix a colour I regularly use. The idea of using a full pot and it accidentally opening and ruining my Salamanders was not a thought I wanted to entertain either.

For some time I've been saving the corks from my other unintentional hobby 'drinking red wine', with the intention of making a home made cork board for the kitchen one day. Well some of them were about to be donated to support the Great Crusade. What I like most about using corks is that they are easy to grip, being more tactile than a plastic pot. I also have a shameful abundance of them laying around.


My mates think I'm mad for undercoating them tacked together before separating them to airbrush. They are probably right but I like that it leaves a clean surface on the resin where I'm going to stick them together. Even though it gets airbrushed over a bit it's much easier to scratch away without the undercoat. I'm also a sucker for buying Chaos Black undercoat from Games Workshop, just a traditionalist I guess.


So these are the first models I've airbrushed and it has changed my hobby. I love to have smooth cover on my models, so painting with a brush has meant lots of very thin layers of paint and medium. I don't have the best of airbrushes but it's fine for base layers and basic highlights and it's allowed me to really speed up my painting.

I've started off doing 5 minis at a time, with the aim of not airbrushing more until they are fully painted. For my method I do a base layer of Warpstone Glow, wash them with Nuln Oil, highlight with Warpstone Glow then a small highlight of 50/50 mix of Warpstone Glow/Moot Green. Then they are the ready for the brush.

Cheers
J

1 comment:

  1. So just make that mix then pour it into the airbrush? What airbrush do you use? I have just started airbrushing myself and I want to do a horus heresy Salamanders force. Any help would be appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete