Sunday 13 July 2014

Pins of War




So began the building of my first Salamanders Legionaries.  As this was going to be my first Forgeworld army I wanted to spend a little bit more time on the minis and try some new techniques to boot. 

I made the decision very early on that I was going to airbrush the base coats for the entire army. This presented me with some new challenges as I wanted to be able to get good coverage when spraying without getting paint all over myself, and also find a way to make it easier to paint normally hard to reach areas with a brush. The only real solution was to paint them in multiple parts.

As I didn't want to get the green base colour on to the bases I went ahead and started to pin all the legs. This wasn't as laborious as I had initially anticipated and by using a Games Workshop hobby drill and a bunch of paperclips I quickly got them all pinned and in place on their bases.


I wanted to do something a bit more interesting with my bases and after thinking through a number of themes I liked the idea of my Legion fighting on a war torn city scape. Using pieces from my hobby bits box and the Warhammer 40K basing kit I started to lay the foundations for the bases. 


A bit of sand and fine slate later and the models were ready to be undercoated. I blu tacked them together to make it easier and it also helps to save on primer as I'm not spraying bits that won't be seen. Lets get these guys outside and primed.

Cheers
J

No comments:

Post a Comment