Tuesday 29 July 2014

Playing With Fire




So with Salamanders been born of fire, I wanted to include some on my Legion. I didn't want to go over board with it though so I was going to limit it to Sergeants, Veterans, Special units and anything which has fire moulded onto it.

You see fire painted lots of different ways, most of them look awesome which ever way you approach it. There is a science though to how fire looks and which colours generally lie where.



I found a great article at http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_theory.htm . I encourage anyone interested in a nicely detailed look at how to get an effective fire look, particularly for 3D fire on miniatures check it out.

The general overview is explained in the above image, white is hot colour is not. We seem to want to instinctively highlight with a lighter colour, but when it comes to flames that's not how it works. The more I've been looking at different fire effects when I see them painted the wrong way I just can't help but think the mini would look better the right way.

My first attempt is on my Legion Tactical Squad Sergeant, I've pinched the power fist from the Pyroclast set (which I did base coat the other day). I started off with a base of Khorne Red for the whole flame then worked back to the combustion source with Wild Rider Red, Fire Dragon Bright, Yirel Yellow, Flash Gitz Yellow then White Scar. 

I'm looking forward to doing some more to get my technique down.

Cheers
J

No comments:

Post a Comment