Sunday 13 July 2014

Starting With The Core




I've always found that when I begin a new army, I tend to start with the best units neglecting basic troops choices thus rendering me with an unplayable army. So for my Salamanders Legion I decided I was going to be strict with what units I bought and painted first.

As I stated in my last post I finally decided to start my Pre Heresy Salamanders at Gamesday 2013 with the release of Massacre. Having wasted the best part of the day the previous year queuing to get Angron (got caught up in the hype of him being the first Primarch release) we decided we would look around and wait for the Forgeworld queue to quiet down seeing as we were not desperate for anything.

This also gave me the opportunity to finally settle on a Legion and think about what models I wanted to start with. I'd being toying with the idea of Salamanders for a while even as a 40K force, as I really like their background about them having a lot of humility and having families back on Nocturne. Ferrus Manus was available as a pre release that day which almost tempted me to Iron Hands, but the thought of painting so much black quickly put that idea to bed.

So Salamanders it was then, my Pre Heresy journey was to begin with the XVIII. Having had the chance to skim through Betrayal I knew I had to have at least 2 compulsory Troop choices, which was Tactical Squads or Assault Squads. I knew that at some point I would want both but decided that I would start with the real core of Space Marines, Bolter clad and lots of them.

I really like all the marks of armour that Forgeworld have released but I was particularly drawn to MKIII Iron Armour. I didn't want to overwhelm myself with minis to paint as the project could rapidly become an insurmountable task. So I got a copy of Massacre, 10 MKIII Legion Marines, a pack of Phobos Pattern Bolters and a cheeky Sicaran that had just been released. I would have also bought a MKIII command upgrade but they didn't bring any with them.

So my Legion had begun and I couldn't wait to get started building them up.

Cheers
J

No comments:

Post a Comment