Monday 14 July 2014

Uncomfortable Stools




Even though I am the ripe old age of 31 I still like to go to my local Games Workshop to paint (My FiancĂ© thinks I'm a massive geek but it keeps me out of trouble). It's a great way to get instant feedback on what you're doing, and for me one of the best parts of the hobby is getting to chat with like minded people. The only draw back is after a 4 hour stint you start to loose feeling in your back from being hunched over a painting station, and sitting on a stool conceived by a Chaos Daemon who's only goal was to inflict copious pain.

As my Salamanders Legion was the first army for me to paint with an airbrush I wanted to get Dave's (local Games Workshop manager) opinion on how they looked. He's been working on his Tau Army for Throne of Skulls, and has adopted doing his base colour with the Hobby Spray Gun. I can't reiterate enough, if you want to get your armies painted quickly, spray all your base coats. If you want general cover then the Hobby Spray Gun is fine (it also looks like a Hand Flamer so bonus points for that). If you are looking for more control invest in some sort of Airbrush.

For the gold trim and rivets I have used a base of Balthasar Gold, then a wash of Seraphim Sepia. First highlight is Gehenna's Gold then Iron Breaker. I prefer the look of Iron Breaker as a final highlight compared to Runefang Steel as it can tend to look too shiny and I wanted the more muted feel of Iron Breaker.

The hip coils were just Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oil. The band around the back of the knee cap is Abaddon Black.

The bases are first painted Mechanicus Standard Grey then washed Nuln Oil. Once completely dried there are 3 layers of dry brushing, Mechanicus Standard Grey, Dawnstone and finally Ulthuan Grey. I have started to then use some weathering powders, but I'll cover that in another post. For the scrap metal my method kind of changes as I go, it's scrap after all so won't all be the same, however I usually start with Warplock Bronze.


Same method for the trim on the torsos as the legs. I've gone a bit overboard by painting every rivet on the armour gold. In some respects I wish I'd never started as now I'm compelled to repeat this for every model in my Legion. Arrgh!

Cheers
J

2 comments:

  1. Tough luck on the rivets haha but I do the same for my Marines and it's worth the extra detail in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I look at some minis that don't and they still look awesome, I'm happy that I did though.

      Delete